Saturday, July 17, 2010

Deviled Egg Salad--on Toast

Yummo!  I told you I had to kind of change up the dinners around here because our house really starts heating up around 4 pm...typical time to start supper, right?  Well I was scared to tell Tyler what we were having for dinner the other night for fear he would take me out to the shed to beat me.  Just kidding...he's as harmless as a butterfly and we don't even have a shed but he is SUPER picky.  Do I emphasize that enough on this blog??  Sometimes I get discouraged by it and sometimes it inspires me to come up with more wonderful things to open him up to.  But anyway, he says, "what's for dinner, I'm starving!!"  I take a deep breath and say, "you know, its really hot in here so I am not making a big dinner in the oven...we are having egg salad, but you can have cereal if you want!"  So then he asked what was in egg salad and realized there wasn't anything creepy in it so he agreed to eat it.  This is big folks...he went on to say that chicken salad sounded good too...oh really?  I have been trying to get you to eat chicken salad for YEARS!!  HA!  I am really happy though because he is slowly opening up to more and more things which helps keep me going!  I love to cook but I really like when others enjoy my food, especially my family!  So here's the deal.  Egg salad isn't anything fancy or in need of a blog post but I got myself hooked on this sammy by making a few small, but wonderful changes!  Here goes:

7 eggs  (this made enough for dinner for 2, two nights) obviously you can adjust
mayo- I use the real deal, no low fat--that stuff creeps me out and I think its a scam but I digress)
yellow mustard
sweet relish
salt-just a dash
pepper
dash of white vinegar


After your eggs are peeled and chopped add in your mayo, mustard, relish, salt and pepper, vinegar and stir.  This needs to be chilled people...Tyler was starving so we put it in the freezer for 20 minutes and it was perfect.  If you have a patient family, throw it in the fridge or make it in advance.  Once chilled, take a bagel or whole grain bread (my favorite), toast the bread, then shmear with the salad.  WAIT!  Before you take a bite, sprinkle paprika or cayenne pepper (my preffered choice!) and serve open-faced.  The ratio of salad to bread is sooo much better if you serve open faced!  I didn't even need a side item it was so good.  But wouldn't a side of vinegar and cucumbers be yummy with this?!  Oops...I did have the last of the cowboy beans with it one night.  Like I said, those beans go with everything:)  This sandwich is so good and the toasting (for a crunch) and the cayenne turn a plain ol' egg salad sammy into something new and tasty! 
Try it and let me know what you think!!  If you love deviled eggs or egg salad this one is for you! 

1 comment:

  1. SO glad i'm not the only one who says "but you can have cereal if you want!" each night ;) when mike went through a phase of no garlic and no onions...i think i may have wept once. luckily, he is easing out of those restrictions but still, kind of a picky guy, too. now that i plan meals a week ahead (stupid work) i post them on the fridge so he knows what's about to hit him. i sneak blue box mac n cheese on there every other week or so to make him happy ;)

    ReplyDelete