Friday, July 16, 2010

Best Smoothie On Earth!

Here is a go to smoothie recipe I have been making for YEARS!  I love fruit smoothies and used to be addicted to Jamba Juice.  When I started looking at the labels (when they were forced to publish the nutritional facts, I made a tough choice to give them up!)  On top of the fact that they had a 5 lb. bag of sugar in the jumbo one I would get, they were expensive when you consider getting 5 a week!  So I started tweeking a recipe until I came up with this--my favorite smoothie on earth!  Every winter I start craving smoothies again after I wore myself out with them in the summer so I just stock up on frozen fruit and whip them up!  I hope Mini will love them when she is a little bigger!  Jam packed with the good stuff...One thing I am going to add which I got from my friend Tanda's smoothie recipe, is SPINACH!!  Yes, the beautiful green goddess of veggies!  Since kids notoriously do not like the green stuff, I am going to add a handful to my smoothies and sneak it in for her and Tyler!  Great idea Miss Tanda!!  Enjoy! 

Best Smoothie on Earth recipe

4 large strawberries (fresh if available)
Handful of blueberries (fresh)
About 6 blackberries (fresh)
3-4 frozen peach slices
One banana
Pineapple (if you have on hand)
Small handful of frozen berries (you can skip these if you want-I am generally too cheap to buy fresh rasberries unless they are on sale)
*Handful of Spinach
5 tablespoons of yogurt
Honey or Agave Nectar
(Any fruit will work obviously--I do not do melons, they are so pretty and smell so good but I just can't so feel free to mix and match until your hearts content!)


I pour the honey in and count to 4...you will know after you make one if it is sweet enough or not.
(could also sub agave nectar if you keep it on hand!  Yum!)
Less than a cup of ice-you don't want it watery
*Put your soft stuff in the blender first so it is faster. Ice is last.
If your smoothie is too big, cut down on ice. That amount of ingredients should give you one large glass full of smoothie. If I use less ice I just stick the mixture into the freezer for about 10 minutes before I put into the glass and it is perfect!!

This is so much better than any smoothie I have had at any of the smoothie chains!  And so much better for you!  Try it for breakfast or a snack!  Tyler and I sometimes have them for evening snacks so we don't run to Braum's for ice cream!!  It works! 

No comments:

Post a Comment