Monday, September 20, 2010

Re-Purposing

I have a few motives for this post...
a) I have an announcement and,
b) I need some design help

The announcement is...I have accepted an awesome job doing what I love...being a landman of course (again!) and the best part is...I get to do it all almost all from the comforts of my own home!!  I will actually be working for myself and contracting out my fabulous services...while keeping my status of Stay at Home Momma/Boss of this House. 

The help I need is...I do not have a home office or an entire room I can dedicate to such a lovely thing.  Sigh.  One of the few downfalls to a 50's ranch home.  But our bedrooms are huge so the room I am going to manipulate it the guest bedroom.  I have found a few desks I like.  But can't decide which would be the best long-term investment and most condusive to my our needs.  Tyler has to do work from home sometimes too so we will give him a teeny bit of an opinion...oh yeah, he also is still the only one bringing in dolla dolla bills, ya'll so there's that too:).  But besides work, I also sew, craft, scrapbook, blah blah blah...so keep that in mind.  Here are the best photos my photographer is capable of taking of the room "as is":
Ok, so to explain...The bed will do a 180 and be on the opposite wall...it has always bugged me that it blocks part of a window.  Then, we are going to do away with the tv/chest and at some undisclosed time in the later future put up a flat screen for our ever-so-valued guests.  SO the new desk will go where that rats nest is in the corner...Tyler's non-functional, college desktop will go to computer heaven as we replaced it with a laptop over a year ago...Then the two nightstands will house the lamps and be on either side of the bed.  That leaves the whole back of the room empty for my work environment:)  Here are the only two desks I have really "fallen" for:

I love that a corner desk optimizes space and functionality.  It is also from Pottery Barn so it will match our bed and not be a clashing wood or stain.  It also will match the woodwork in other rooms of our house just in case the desk would ever need to me moved to another space. 

My crafty self loves this desk!  I currently use my formal dining as my sewing room and it actually works out just fine but this desk just screamed HEATHER.  I don't know how a taller desk like this would look in a bedroom space or how it would feel to work a full day sitting at a higher desk??  This beauty is from West Elm. 

And here is another that I kind of like...from Ballard Designs

Any suggestions on other places to look?  I was hoping to find something I loved at Ikea but I didn't see anything from the website that tickled my fancy.  The only components I will have to deal with are my laptop, printer (which is wireless), and then just the router and modem.  Hmmmmmm.....someone inspire me...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the corner desk! That is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest before I saw that you were already considering the one from Pottery Barn!

    ReplyDelete