Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Nicknames...

A friend of mine from high school recently started a lovely blog and a recent post was about nicknames in her family.  I absolutely loved it and am sad to say I haven't ever met her father because you can tell by the nicknames he comes up with, he is a lovely treat.  You can find Nicole's blog here.  She is a wife, runner, dog mom and little people doctor.  So instead of writing a 20 page comment on her blog I decided to copycat and do a post of my own because I LOVE nicknames! 

“No orator can top the one who can give good nicknames.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a million nicknames that have been given to me by lots of different people.  I love all of them because my dad always told me if someone gives you a nickname, even if it sounds mean, they really like you.  My dad always called me Big Bertha and her Stinky Feet...and he always said the WHOLE thing! HAHAHAHA  I think I may have to eventually write a children's book and title it that!  I have always eaten a lot so that's where the Big Bertha part came from and apparently I had stinky feet:)  My mom always called me Pea when I was little, short for Princess and the Pea.  Over the years I have acquired lots more so here are some of my favorites.  High-Water Heather (junior high-high school), H-Squared, Hay-Hay (from Chelsea), H-Eater (from Tyler's brother), Hooch (from a good friend from work), and here are some good ones Kim has called me over the years...some of my personal favorites...Loretta Lynn, Madonna and Bobble Head.  I wore a lot of purple eye shadow and funky clothes back in the banking days...OK, I still do!  She still calls me Loretta on a fairly regular basis so I guess that's who I relate with the most:)

Paige has lots of nicknames already.  Nicknames are actually a big deal around here and we all have A LOT!  We used to joke that Paige and Oscar have to be genius because they can keep up with all of their names.  We were at a cookout over Labor Day weekend and I was asking Paige a question so I said, "Susan, would you like cheese on your plate?"  Everyone looked at Tyler and I confused and I said oh that's her nickname!  HAHAHA  Everyone started dying laughing uncontrollably.  It all started out by calling her Susie Q, then Suze and then just Susan.  Its really cute and when I want to call her by a code name in stores just in case say, there are kidnappers around, I use Susan.  Yes I am a nut case.  Here are some of her others.  Cuddles, Cutes, babalicious, Dunkin Hines, Dunks, Dump Truck, Paigaletta, Cake, Stink and Dumpling.  She loves all of them and still seems to know her birth name is Paige.  Its a miracle...
(Loretta-In-Training)
Oscar has about 787 and LOVES all of them.  The funniest thing is if someone happens to say a word from one of his nicknames or even if he hears the word on TV...he comes running.  It is hysterical!  Here are some of his:  Bubbles, Puppin, Puppichino, Bublets, Boobles, Stink, Oscarilla, Bubba, Bubs, Pupinator, Wubba, Wubletta, Boo Bear, Berry, Berriest, Boss...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  It's really embarrassing and funny actually typing this out!

(I must have called them by one of their "shared" nicknames to get both of them to look for this photo!)
Tyler has less than the rest of us but his have stuck and carried through time. TyBeav, Bizzle, Bizness, Ty, Beaver and my personal favorites...Kitty or Kitten! 
"When I go out with the ladies, I don't force them to pronounce my name. I tell them I like to go by the nickname of Kitten." Joaquin Phoenix


I love when you haven't seen someone in a long time and they yell out your nickname.  Hope you enjoy this post and think about all of the hilarious nicknames you have or have given friends and family!!! 
 
Just for the record, the BEST nickname of all time I gave my brother (apparently I took after my dad in giving really long nicknames) and it is Scottricia Alligosha O'Meter.  Who knows how I came up with that but I have been calling him Gosh for a LONG time.  I also used to call him Sigourney Weaver...she was in the weird Aliens movies when we were pretty young and it creeped us out so we started calling each other that and even made up a song.  All right, this is enough embarrassment for one day. 
 

2 comments:

  1. hahahahaha. you are too funny!!!! The "Susan" story still has me laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April and I laughed our tushes off at the quote and wanted to tell you how much we enjoy all your funny stories! Thank you :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete