Monday, September 13, 2010

Healthy Yummy Wonderful Freezable Banana Pancakes

I am a big fan of adding a little something extra to pancakes...when I made these I fell in love!  I took them to several friends having their second babies so they would have something quick, easy and healthy to feed the "big" kids.  It was also something that I could make ahead of time and grab one or two out of the freezer and eat in a hurry when I was too tired and busy to think through preparing myself something when Paige was little.  They also smell up the kitchen wonderfully! 

Ingredients


2 cups whole wheat flour ( I use whole wheat pastry)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 small ripe bananas, finely chopped
About a teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
dash of nutmeg (optional)
chopped pecans (optional)

1.In a large bowl mix whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Stir in buttermilk and bananas just until moistened.


2.Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
 
If you want to take some to a friend or have plenty of extra to freeze, double this recipe. 
 
I serve this with a spread of natural peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.  They are also good with strawberry preserves.  Grrrrr, now I am hungry!
(Paige gives lots of kisses during meals she really likes...here she is munching on whole wheat banana pancakes:) )

3 comments:

  1. Do you put parchment paper between them when you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ma'am, I just stack them in freezer bags and they easily pop apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be trying these, they sound delicious and obviously they are because of the pretty display picture and then Paige's happy face and clean plate! I can't wait to see what Hud is going to think!!! Oh and by the way just from the couple pictures I see of all the fall decorations I will be needing your help with decorating mine too;)))!!!!

    ReplyDelete