Monday, October 25, 2010

Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget...

No matter what you are shopping for it is good to have a little research under your belt, a set budget and expectations.  The older I get the better I get at such things.  But still, I think its human nature to kind of long for the upgrade! 

This morning Mini and I had to go get two tires repaired.  We acquired to semi-flat tires in our weekend adventures which could turn out to be pretty dramatic when you only have one car in your family!!  We made it to our local tire shop and they fixed us right up!  On the way home I decided I would stop at a Bernina sewing machine shop since its on the way home and I have been gathering information on sewing machines trying to decide which one to get.  DISCLAIMER--I had NO idea how much these little beauties were before going into the store! 

I have only used Singer machines...my grandmother's, Janet's and Kim's.  So I have been planning on getting myself a Singer.  In fact, I did the research 6 months ago and decided on one that Martha Stewart recommended for someone with my skill level and the type of projects I plan to do but CANNOT find the note I made myself telling me the model.  Grrrr...so I decided one of the sweet ladies at Bernina might be able to help!  Oh could they!  The sweet lady walked us around showing us everything and asked what type of projects I like to do or wish to do.  I told her I make simple blankets but would like to get better at quilting, making drapes, bedding, pillows...mainly household things and possibly some simple children's clothing but nothing extravagant or fancy stuff.  Then she brings up embroidery.  Hmmm...I would have said no right off the bat but several of my friends have recently invested in embroidery machines so I wanted to know more...what's the craze all about?  Then I saw a few treasures made with the embroidery machine.  Well, I MIGHT be interested...then Janet, Tiff and I could all benefit from this machine right?  So if its a little more expensive but we ALL get use out of it, might be worth it.  So I will listen.  Like all good sales people, they never give you any inclination what these treasures might cost.  But the more she showed me, the more I felt like I was in a multi-million dollar house and had a budget of $150,000.00.  Or just slipped on a $15,000 wedding gown but had a budget of $1,000.  It feels so good at the time but when you reach for your pocket book...chirp chirp chirp!  Luckily Mini started squirming so I asked for a few brochures and prices so I could look everything over and come back in for more demos when I had some extra hands to help with the babe. 

Again, before letting me know how much the three dream machines we "test-drove" were, she let me know I would have a free two year bumper-to-bumper warranty, free sewing classes and a few other things I can't quite remember.  So I was getting excited!  Everyone is getting something bedazzled for Christmas!!  As I look at the price sheet and listen to her I realize the numbers she is saying are in the thousands???  I must have misunderstood?  I looked at the sheet...no, it was not a misunderstanding.  I have just test drove three machines that range in price from $2800-$3600!!!!!!!!   I honestly didn't know they could get that expensive...no wonder there is a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty!  They cost as much as a car!  So I went from looking at a sewing machine that costs $150, to one that costs $3600.  I am sad to report that you all should stop getting excited about your embroidered treasures for Christmas this year.  Its not going to happen!!! 

Lesson learned...I will be cruising up to Target later to pick up a trusty Singer that fits into my budget and as Kim said, "You've been using mine for a year now and it never did you wrong, now did it?!"  Nope, it didn't and it certainly won't require a 15 year mortgage!  It will probably be a while before I stop dreaming of that Bernina...she sewed like butter and did tricks your wildest crafting dreams couldn't even begin to imagine....If you are a sewer and want to waltz through dreamland, google the Bernina Aurora 440-Quilter's Edition.  Or if you want to purchase it and send it to my house, send me a message and I will gladly send you shipping information:) 

Dear Santa, I have been a VERY good girl, please send me the Aurora 440 Quilter's Edition...I will never ask for another sewing machine if you bring me this one!!!!!  xoxo, heather
P.S. If any of you are sewer's and have a good recommendation for a machine, let me know!  I am going to go with a Singer but can't decide which model yet...

1 comment:

  1. I am still in crafty mode so we may need to have a play/sewing date soon! I'm praying that the Lord will eventually hear my prayers and give me a couple more hours every day. :)

    ReplyDelete