Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Recipe of the Day

Well, I finally got around to making the halibut recipe I was supposed to make two weeks ago!!  The good news is, I didn't have to eat it the past two weeks!!!  The first problem is, halibut is VERY expensive to buy and I just learned that lesson today!  Second problem...I don't do bones!  Not fish bones, not steak bones, not chicken bones, not piggy bones!  Somehow my country girl self didn't realize I was buying $20 worth of bony fish!!!  Grrrrr...Thirdly, I don't mind paying a little extra for something we love and Tyler loves halibut BUT I do not like paying the same amount (or more) than we would pay at a restaurant for a professional chef to prepare our meal!  So you are wondering why I am still going to post this?!  Well the peach salsa that I made to put on the fish was YUMMO!  In fact, after getting a little bone in my mouth I gave up on the fish and ate cilantro lime rice and peach salsa with fresh green beans for dinner!  Also, the marinade for the fish was really good and would be great on chicken, shrimp or salmon.



Marinade:

1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 (6 ounce) halibut steaks  (chicken, salmon or shrimp)
*Marinate at least 2 hours and baste with remaining while grilling

Salsa:
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen peaches
1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped* (I left the seeds but I love spicy)
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Also, I made the chocolate cake recipe from the chocolate peanut butter cake.  I made three square disposal pans and will be doing different things with them; first and foremost having a big piece for dinner since that didn't go so well.  Then taking one over to my friend Kim's so we can enjoy one with our mini's to celebrate her birthday!! I don't know how I will ever make another chocolate cake recipe, this one is soooo good!  I also screwed up a batch of homemade frosting...How did I do this??  Well, when recipe disaster happens, it pours!!!

1 comment:

  1. We're not big fish-eating people around here so I will have to try this with chicken or shrimp. Sounds and looks so good!

    ReplyDelete