Monday, May 31, 2010

In honor of summer

Dear Summer,
I am SO glad you are here.  As you know, I am a huge fan of corn. I can do lots of can corn.  But if I could choose, it would always be fresh.  What is more beautiful than a crisp, summer day with everything cooked on the grill?! (Well--this isn't a riddle but if it was the answer would be Paige, of course!)
Here is a fun and funky recipe that is screaming summer taken from the new Better Homes and Garden magazine:
Corn and Blueberry Salad
6 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 small cucumber, sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Boil corn in salted water for 5 minutes, or until tender.  when cool, cut corn from cobs.
2. in a bowl combine all the veggies.  In a separate bowl combine dressing ingredients, whisk together and then pour over salad.  Cover and refrigerate overnight. 

**I haven't made this yet--probably will make it this weekend if I can think of the perfect main attraction to serve with it!  Grilled shrimp would be yummy and maybe some new potatoes?!  Ahhh and how beautiful it will look on MY NEW DINING ROOM TABLE!!!  Oh it is just so tacky to gush but you don't understand!  I have had the same dining room table since May of 2001.  It wasn't new then either.  I believe it was 6 years old when I got it from a family I adore and they were upgrading!  It has been in at least 15 houses with me (and now my family)! Its a quaint little table that seats 4.  I have thought about painting it 100 times, use it as a craft table, card table, buffet table, garage sale table...you name it.  I plan to keep this little table for the rest of my years as a craft table for me and my mini(s) because there is a lot of love and memories baked in this little table but I am so very excited to be upgrading! I think our dining room is our favorite room in the house.  Tyler did a beautiful job painting the walls and the original wainscoting.  Janet made the perfect curtains and I chose a fabulous chandelier.  My precious table is far too small for this room and more importantly, does not accomodate the amount of guests we usually have.  Well, my new dazzler will fix all of that!  So three years later, we have made our first major furniture purchase!  Its difficult finding something both of us love.  Ty likes rustic, tough wood and I love ecclectic, fun, painted.  We both saw this table and fell in love.  Rustic-check.  Tough-Check. Ecclectic-Check. Painted-Check. Seats 10-Check!!  Memorial Day Sale-Check!!!  I don't want to ruin all of the fun so I will save a few details for a later post...as soon as its delivered I will post some photos!  Who's coming for dinner?!?! 
To Do List:  Find the perfect chairs-2 fabric arm chairs, 8 side chairs, and one long backless bench. 

1 comment:

  1. I saw the table getting delivered today! I like it!!!

    ReplyDelete