Friday, May 21, 2010

Must Love Dogs

From the time I can remember, I have always loved dogs.  I love big dogs, little dogs, short dogs, fat dogs, skinny dogs, really love ugly dogs and most recently...blind dogs.  As I got older, it would definitely be on my bucket list of qualities for a future spouse.  I don't mean someone that tolerated dogs, but someone that really loves them...if you are a pet person you know what I am talking about.  When Tyler and I started dating he always said he would know if I was "the one" if his dog Shawn liked me.  So he took me to his parents house for lunch one day and Shawn tackled me!  Kisses, wags, the whole nine yards.  Luckily I met all of Shawn's expectations!  Soon after that I drove to Tishomingo to visit his grandparents.  Tyler and his family were already there but I had to drive down separately after work.  Tyler met me at the local gas station so I didn't get lost in the dark trying to find his grandparents house.  I have a very weird fear of going to a strangers house without snacks in my bag and food in my belly.  I can't explain it and I was never starved as a child.  Until I am very comfortable with people, I always do this ritual.  So I wandered into the gas station grabbing Pop Tarts, Chocolate Gem Donuts, potato chips and two hot dogs.  The hot dogs I intended to eat before getting to their house and the other items would get me through until I made it home the next day.  So when I came out of the gas station, Tyler had arrived and was petting a stray dog.  We quickly find out its a "she" and was clearly nursing a bunch of puppies.  Tyler grabbed one of my hot dogs and fed it to her.  I think she gulped it up in one bite!  So he grabbed my second hot dog and proceeded to feed her that one too.  As much as I love dogs, my survival instincts kicked in and I had no dinner!  It was late and those were the LAST hot dogs in the gas station.  Needless to say, he loves dogs as much as me and I survived on my purse of goodies through the night. 
Our sweet girl is no exception to this animal loving family...nothing brings a smile to her face faster than Oscar.  The first time she belted out a HUGE belly laugh was to Oscar bouncing around the backyard!  They play together, trade toys, she recently licked him back (ha!) and now...shares her snacks with him!  Really?!  Only 9 months old and already feeding the dog??  She has morning snack time everyday around 9 and sits in her high chair with her flavored puffs (yuck) and has a serving of fruit.  Apparently Oscar likes the sweet potato puffs more than Paige does.  She carefully picked up one puff at a time, held out her chubby little hand and giggled as Oscar carefully took each one.  I scolded both of them and you would have thought I was invisible...they proceeded with their snack time. 
We are both very happy that Oscar has done so well with the sweetest addition to our family because as much as we love him, our child(ren) safety is the most important thing to us.  Now if I can only talk Tyler into buying some land so I can have a fleet of dogs, a boat load of mini-ponies, fainting goats and a kitty circus...my life won't be complete without a kitty circus!!!  Ok, this post is getting out of control so I am leaving you now with a few photos to hopefully help you forget how crazy I am! 

1 comment:

  1. The photos haven't made anyone forget how weird you are. I assure you of that. However I really enjoyed this post and I wish you did have a Cat Circus.

    ReplyDelete