Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spring Inspired Meal Day!

I haven't been excited to cook the last couple weeks...I think because of all the weather changes.  I like eating according to the season and sometimes around here it is summer by day and winter by night!  But I have been craving Kim's MIL's country spaghetti!  Kim made it for us when I had Paige so it always reminds me of warm, happy days! 

Ma-Ma's Spaghetti!

1 pound noodles (spaghetti or fettuccine)
1 pound chicken breast cut into thin strips
1 beef smoked sausage
1/2 an onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
olive oil
spaghetti seasoning (I don't have this in the house so I just used a blend of spices from the pantry)

on deck:
1 squash
1 zucchini

First off put a good pat of butter in a skillet and throw in your onion and chicken.  Now start chopping your bell peppers--I hate overcooked veggies so I always make myself do it this way so my A-D-D doesn't just throw them in at the beginning.  Once the chicken is just about done, throw in the peppers.
Slice your smoked sausage and add it to the pot and cover for a few minutes.  Be sure and cook your noodles as well.  I start my water when I start cooking the meal and drop the pasta as I add the peppers into the pot. 
Be sure and season your chicken/sausage/veggie dish with spighetti seasoning or your own random seasonings.  Once the noodles are done, drain and put back into your large pot.  Drizzle noodles with olive oil, toss and then add your meat/veggie mixture. 
As a side dish, I sliced a large zucchini and a large yellow squash and sauteed them in a tiny bit of butter, sea salt and pepper.  YUMMO!  Also have some leftover rolls from the German bakery down the street--DIVINE!!! 
Here is Kim's recipe!

Forgot to take a photo before me and mini started devouring our lunch!!!

For snack??  Homemade Granola and vanilla yogurt!!  Tyler's FAVORITE snack! and it makes the house smell better than anything I have ever cooked!
Do you see how Heaven is shining down on my granola?!?!?!  Ok, that might be my oven light but this granola is HEAVENLY, Healthy and Delicious!!! Here's the recipe!

While cruising Kim's blog for the above recipe I found this one and will be making it next week when we are back to winter-ish again!  Whoop Whoop! 

And this is how happy your family will be after you make this (ok, I just wanted to add a cute picture I took this morning, sue me!):

2 comments:

  1. I only got one question...how is your oven that CLEAN!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I've been meaning to tell you! I wanted and planned on making the granola before I found out I was prego...and then the sickness and all appetite went out the window for the past 7months. I FINALLY made it a little over a month ago and have made it at least 5times since. My mom and I are hooked and once Josh would finally try it- he eats it every day in his lunch. It's been one of my favorite snacks. (there's actually a batch in the oven now) I leave out the coconut and add pecans, craisins, and make it a little sweeter- and then don't crumble it all up but make it thick and "chunk" it out of the pan, kind of like cookies to make it easier to eat on the go! LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete