Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Healthy recipe-with Potential!

The other night I was trying to come up with something to make for dinner.  I had thought about making bean soup-one of our favorites but I didn't soak my beans the night before (story of my life) and had the beef sausage thawed in the fridge.  So I started pulling things out and laying them on the counter until it made sense and looked appealing...
So while the WW rotini was taking a bath in boiling water, I minced 5 cloves of garlic to simmer in olive oil over med low heat.

 Then sliced the beef smoked sausage (for some reason Paige and I love this sausage and it is very cheap and fits nicely in the freezer til we have a craving-I can't say if it has any health benefits or negatives but it is a delicious treat to us).  Our frozen spinach is also boiling away per the directions on the carton!  After our garlic was smelling delicious we threw in our sausage.
I ended up not using the sun dried tomatoes--I always forget I hate this brand.  Has a weird waxy taste or something, so after I chopped them, the smell brought back all of the bad memories and I threw them out!  Then, I squeezed the juice of one lemon into the pot.
After the spinach was done, I cut open the pouch and added it to the garlic/meat mixture and drained my noodles and incorporated everything together. 

This was a very pretty dish!  We all liked it.  BUT as I was eating it, I had so many ideas on different directions the dish should go!  The main change was turning it into a SIDE dish-leave out the meat, add water chestnuts or pine nuts, obviously white noodles would be better and then a light shaving of fresh parmesan served with grilled shrimp as the main dish. 
Spinach is a super food and I am always trying to incorporate it into our diet.  Everyone needs more iron, especially toddlers, nursing mommas, pregnant mommas, daddy's...I'm not sure that Oscar needs iron but he also had a helping courtesy of Paige. 
I am REALLY trying to serve whole wheat noodles all the time but they just taste grainy and no where near as delicious and wonderful as their luscious white counterparts.  Anyone know of a brand that is tastier than the others?? 
She doesn't look super excited, but I promise she liked it and got a good dose of spinach in her belly!  I WIN!   

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're writing again...you always make me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete