Sunday, March 13, 2011

Recipe of the Day

About a month ago my friend Leah posted a link to a soup she was making and it looked and sounded divine.  She is one of those people in my recipe circle that nothing she has ever turned me to has been anything short of deliciousness.  As I looked at the ingredients, I was so jealous she was having it for dinner and vowed to myself to make it soon...I love soup and I love blue cheese!  This met both!  Thank you Leah, after a small crisis I did indeed finally have this soup and it lived up to all I dreamed it to be:)

Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup (this is my slightly altered recipe due to my pantry-exact recipe to follow in a linkie)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 28-oz can Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes w/Basil, with their juice
1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
3/4 cups heavy cream whole milk--my heavy cream was unfortunately expired but I obviously would promote you using the heavy cream, duh. 
2 tablespoons sriracha sauce I used adobo sauce, hotter than siracha and I live for the burn.  Go with the siracha unless you are half asian like me. 
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves dried basil
1/2 cup Roth Kase Buttermilk Blue cheese blue cheese crumbles

Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and continue to sweat for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, their juice and the stock and bring to a simmer. (I added a little more salt here too). Add the cream, sriracha sauce, and oregano and simmer for 45 minutes. Add in the blue cheese stirring until melted and combined.  Find some stale bread and enjoy!!!  There is a local place that has the best tomato basil soup I have EVER had...until this soup!  This is my new favorite!  I love the smokiness from the adobo sauce, the creaminess from the cheese and the delicious smell of basil!  I had a bagel leftover from a local german bakery and it was on its way out the door because it was stale...nope, perfection in this soup! 

Here is the link to the original recipe with pictures! 



No comments:

Post a Comment