Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Quick & Easy

So I usually right off putting my super simple recipes on the blog because I feel like everyone already knows about the quick/easy/delicious recipes but those are the ones that we use the most!!  We love chicken but I get sick of eating the same things so I try to be creative.  This is my take on those "healthy" taco bowls you can get at Taco Bell.

What you need:

1 package chicken breast or tenderloins (I prefer tenderloins)
1 taco seasoning packet
I can Rotel mexican tomatoes
1 can pinto beans with jalapenos
rice (I use brown)
Sour Cream-optional but in my opinion, necessary!

In a crockpot throw your semi-frozen chicken breasts in and sprinkle with your taco seasoning--some people only use half a packet if you are concerned about your sodium intake--I am a salt junkie so I dump it all in.  I set it on low for 6 hours.  At that point I add the Rotel tomatoes.  Heat up your pinto beans and cook your rice. 

To serve, I use a shallow pasta bowl and layer the bottom with rice, then a layer of beans, then add chicken/tomato mixture and top it with a dollop of sour cream.  Yummy!!!  Tyler and I both love it and it literally takes less than 10 minutes to throw together and is really healthy!  Sometimes I use corn or black beans just whatever is in the pantry.  We always have chicken, rice and taco seasoning so I just substitute whatever beans and veggies we have on hand.  Paige loves this meal too so its nice to have a few meals in rotation that ALL of us can eat! 

Hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment