Friday, August 27, 2010

Dreadful

Its the nicest word I can come up with to describe my feelings abut running this morning...I am a creature of habit and I was just starting to get to the point where I was looking forward to my runs right before I went on vacation last week!  So much so that I got up at 5 am the day I left just so I didn't miss my run!!  Well, I only missed one day-this past Sunday-since I got home too late and was very tired!!  So when Tuesday rolled around I was still catching up on my zzzz's and not interested in running.  So I promised Tyler I would run in the evening.  It was miserable because I decided to eat dinner before running...huge mistake and lots of pain--hubby told me not to do it but I rolled my eyes and chowed down.  I got up this morning to run and was not happy about it. At all.  But it was MUCH easier than running with a wrap, some soup and a bag of chips sitting in my gut, I promise you that!  I'm hoping that come Sunday I will be back to normal and looking forward to my morning runs again.  Does anyone else get a little grossed ou when I say "runs"?!  Every time I proof read it sounds gross but I can't think of a better word...oh well. 
As I ask Tyler why he keeps forcing me to run--in my cranky morning voice--he reminds me that he is not making me, that I was the one who signed up for the half marathon.  Oh yeah, I forgot.  So I am going to end this on a positive note and remind myself why I like to run:

  • Its a great way to start the day...doing something outside is just good for you.  Fresh air!

  • I'm nosy...I like to see what people in the hood are up to!

  • Its cool to run...I have always been envious of runners...it's just "cool" to be a runner.

  • Exercise does a body good

  • I accomplish so much more during the day if I start off with exercise.  Lots more energy!  Cleaner house, better chance of a hot dinner being prepared! 

  • I get to check out lots of landscaping--one of my other mini-hobbies so I make mental notes of flowers I should incorporate into our yard. 
Ok, I think I have pumped myself up a bit.  I think next week is my 6 week mark so I should be on track to running a 5k with no problem (besides, problems listed above).  Then the next hurdle is 5 miles.  Honestly, I think 5 miles is the worst.  I feel like getting to where you can run 5 miles is the breaking point.  If you can run 5 miles you can run 15.  That's not just my theory either...I have heard it from so many real runners.  Te weather has been a dream and I am excited that I will have some cooler climates to look forward to as I cross the dreadful 5 mile hurdles.  I can do it, I am sticking with it!  It will be soooooo cool to cross the finish line in Austin, TX completing 16.1 miles  13.1 miles thanks Divina! whew!!  Also super excited that I am heading to the BIG 3-0 and will be in the best shape of my life if I stick with it!! 

Have a great weekend and get outside, get some fresh air and maybe a little exercise!! 

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel better, a half is only 13.1 miles. You're going to do great! Keep up the hard work. I admire your dedication. Waking up at 5am to go running?!

    ReplyDelete