Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Prayers for Paige-INTRO

Today was not the day I planned on starting my "Prayers for Paige" but I just read a beautiful piece-link at the end that sums up a lot of what I discuss with Tyler and my good friends about what I want for our daughter.  Things I always want to instill in her, things I MUST portray for her to follow.  So today, I start my piece on Prayers for Paige.  Everyday I will pray for her and for me to be a leader in what I consider the most important lessons for a young woman.  My parents were brilliant at raising me to be a self-confident leader.  Not to follow the crowd, to be different.  To believe in what I wanted to believe in, even if it was different than what they believed in.  I wish being raised that way made me an expert, it doesn't and the world I live in is harder...growing up in a military life most people were like us.  It will be harder for Tyler and I.  But I am committed to it 150% but it will take work, everyday. So here goes...a lot of this is copied from a post but credit is at the bottom...I changed several things since "she" was talking about her teenage daughter and well, I have a baby...but you will get the point.  I think its the perfect place for me to start. 

Have you ever prayed for your child to be... uncommon?

I’ve never prayed that Paige would be the most popular, most witty, most smart, or the most athletic child among her peers. But, I have prayed for her to rise above all that seems common in kids her age and live in the beauty of who she is created to be.

Rising above is not easy. Being uncommon is rare.  So, I’m not only praying this for her, I’m begging God for it from the depths of my heart. 

My precious daughter, Paige, may you…

Rise above the girlish chatter and gossip. When people talk about others in hushed whispers, they are saying nothing but how insecure they are about themselves. Be uncommon sweetheart.

Rise above the daily beauty contest. You can’t see it now, but you have the makings of a gorgeous woman inside and out. Be uncommon sweetheart.

Rise above the incessant need most girls have for someone else to validate your worth. No boy will ever be capable of truly making you feel pretty, witty, and loved. Let Jesus fill up those spaces in your heart and eventually show you a boy worth your time. Be uncommon sweetheart.

Rise above the talk about first kisses and stolen moments. Realize how precious and priceless your purity is. What a beautiful thing it is that you still have the gift of a first kiss to give. Be uncommon sweetheart.

Be uncommon. Rare. Incredible. Amazing. Precious. Priceless. Different.  People will love you for it and if they don't, its OK.  Your real friends will! 

That’s who I pray you will one day be.

Rise above sweetheart. Be you. Continue to seek the uncommon.

http://www.incourage.me/2010/08/she-seeks-the-uncommon.html  I loved this piece and can't wait to read more on this blog!!  I bet she and I have more in common! Hope you enjoy:)

Its easy to pray for your children and hope that is enough...but its not.  Really as moms we need to pray for ourselves too.  If I try to teach Paige to be all these things but show her with my actions something else what will she learn?  So I pray for myself almost as much as I pray for her.  Let me be the woman I want my daughter to become.  Let me shine with confidence.  Let her see how I am filled with self worth.  That I think I am beautiful and secure in my own skin.  In a world of stuff let me teach her to be happy without always needing more.  So here's to praying for our kids and praying for the uncommon. 

What do you pray for your children?

3 comments:

  1. 'Just beautiful. I love your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Totally gave me some new things to begin praying over my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an amazing woman and mother. I am so proud to call you my friend. No doubt if Paige is anything like you she will SHINE!!! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete