Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oscar the Great

Today was the first run of the week!  Oscar and Tyler ran 4 miles while I was sill in zzzz-land.  That works out good for me since Oscar is in impeccable shape and if I go run with him when he has all of his gas I end up gasping for air and get lots of offers for an ambulance!  I was scared I was going to cheat since Ty and P weren't with us.  But we got started and it felt good!  It was so much cooler than 9 am Sunday!  I decided right when I started I would do 20 minutes of my run 3 minutes, walk two minutes and then the last 10 minutes run straight through.  I feel like this plan has been working perfectly for me as it is challenging yet I don't get so sore that I can't get out of bed.  My muscles and back are tight in the mornings but I can easily stretch them out. 
On our 10 minute leg I started dreading the huge hill.  Can we make it up the hill??  Oscar is already running behind me! When we turned the corner to the hill, 4 minutes into our last leg, I got worried.  Oscar immediately turned into an Alaskan sled dog!  It was seriously a scene from a Hallmark movie!  He is such an amazing creature and is taking his role as my co-trainer very seriously! 
"My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am" -author unknown
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

"A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk." ~O.A. Battista

1 comment: