Thursday, June 4, 2009

The joy of reading...


We get little inspirational quotes once a day at work and I just love them! I have always loved cutting out my favorite quotes and taping them places for inspiration and daily reminders! Yesterday was a quote from the book, "Charlotte's Web". Of course I loved the quote and had a rush of memories from childhood and my cherished favorite book, "Charlotte's Web"! From as far back as I can remember, both of my parents read to us. At least every night if not more. My mom took us to the library once a week to check out books and when we were lucky, enjoy a little storytime with the librarian!! I have a bit of an obsessive personality so when I like something, I can't get enough of it until I wear it completely out! So every week when we went to the library, I would check out "Charlotte's Web" and my mom always made me get a second book so I wasn't always reading the same thing. Once I completed the new book, I could have "Charlotte's Web" back and could read as many times as my heart desired!! I have no idea why she didn't buy me a copy, maybe because the librarian got such a chuckle out of seeing my bouncy little body run in and say "Re-check please!!"

Thanks to my parents, I absolutely love to read! Basically anything at this point! So it led me to think of all the creative things I will do, so that my kids will love reading as well! I have read a few articles and one book about reading to baby while she is still in the womb. It helps her learn your voice and if you will read the same story over and over again, that story will calm baby when you read it to her when she comes home. So I ordered paige 5 books yesterday that I think every little girl needs (some are great for boys too). 1) Where the Sidewalk Ends -Shel Silverstein *My fave as I got older 2) Charlotte's Web -E.B. White (duh!) 3) On the Night You Were Born -Nancy Tillman (the one I will begin reading to her every night once I receive it) 4) Are you There God? It's Me Margaret -Judy Blume (for an older girl, but definitely a must read for all young women) 5) Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day -Judith Viorist (an adorable book).


My friend Dotty (who is a grandmother) was telling me about storytime on Saturdays at the bookstore in Edmond in Kickingbird Square, Best of Books. What a great way to get the munchkins into reading! Sometimes a change of scenery with a sweet voice and a puppet show is all you need to get their little sparks ignited!! I will definitely add it as an activity to share with little Paige once she is big enough!


"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing...By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that." -Charlotte, "Charlotte's Web" E.B. White (1899-1985) author

No comments:

Post a Comment