Monday, October 3, 2011

Where Dreams Are Made...

Bedrooms have always been special to me!  Growing up, my parents, especially my mom made sure to always include us in decorating our rooms and we were always redecorating them.  I guess it helped that we moved a lot so maybe we sold our old stuff before moving to a new place, I don't really remember but it was always so fun getting a new bed and accessories! 
When I was pregnant with Paige, I knew I wanted her room to be so special!  Not to be a show off or flashy for my friends but because I wanted her to love it and I wanted Tyler and I to love spending time with her in there!  Since she wasn't here yet to help, I dreamed up a room that I thought the precious girl growing in my belly would truly love!  I think there are several posts on it from the past if you care to check them out:). 
Mid-May, Paige escaped her crib a few times and we knew she was too big for it at that point.  So I had to quickly come up with an alternate sleeping plan.  I knew I was pregnant at the time but didn't yet know the sex of the baby.  We did know if it was a girl, they would share a room and if a boy, they wouldn't.  So that posed to be a challenge.  It made a difference on what sort of bed we would buy Paige if the room were to be shared or not.  Hmmm...I knew we wouldn't find out until around 4th of July what the baby was but Paige needed somewhere to sleep.  She wasn't even two yet so I was a little fearful of putting her in a big bed too soon but also am too practical to waste money on a toddler bed then in a year buy a real big girl bed. 
I came up with a brilliant plan to move her crib mattress to the floor and make a little daybed out of it for the time being.  She really did amazing and was quite confused when i recently told her that her amazing BIG GIRL bed was coming.  She loved her little temporary home on the floor:)!  Actually, so did I!  It was safe, a perfect transition, free, and just the right size!  I highly recommend it if you get into one of these predicaments. 
I found several beds I liked a lot but could just not commit.  Do we want twin size or full size?  Hmmmm...when out of nowhere my MIL started telling me about her grandmother's bed that was given to her when her granny passed away.  It was her grannie's, then John & Janet used it as their first bed when they were married, then it went to Janet's dads place in a guest bedroom and now...it belongs to Granny V's Great-Great Granddaughter!  Oh how I LOVE family treasures!!!  I love old stuff in general but even more when it comes from family!  Janet always imagined it going into her daughter's bedroom but she got John-Mark and Tyler...stinky boys!  Paige is her first granddaughter and first grandchild so it seems so fitting that her first bed is from her grandmother (Nonny)! 
In its original grandeur, the bed is an antique, full size, wood bed and so beautiful...see below!

 This is the headboard, I love the detail!!!
This is the foot board!  I never saw it until I got it out to start refinishing it and LOVED it soooo much!  I love the detailed posts, the carvings and the decorations. 
I was nervous to paint a family treasure but Janet assured me it was fine and has already been refinished in its long lifetime.  I carefully researched exactly what I wanted to do coming up with lots of ideas until one of my best friends, Buffy was over at the house and pointed me to a blog where I got my best and final ideas!!

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment