Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Herd...

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27
This verse was at the end of the sermon notes from today's a service a few weeks ago and it really spoke to me!  I have read it over and over again and keep thinking of so many more ways it applies.  My first thought after reading it was Paige and Oscar (my sheep).  Those two can be like herding cats sometimes!  As I read the verse over again and thinking when I take a patient, loving, authoritative approach to my "sheep" they listen to my voice and they follow me.  Then I thought of our herd as me, Paige, Oscar following Tyler.  I will go ahead and speak for him and say I can be like herding a bobcat or a wild horse sometimes but he always follows through and guides our family in the right direction.  Then I thought about following Jesus and sometimes He must feel like he is herding a bunch of cats with us!  But he keeps calling, patiently pulling us to follow Him.  Then I thought about our "herds" in life.  Different groups of friends, co-workers, family, etc., and how I (we) influence others and herd them in directions. 
Right now I am working with both my little sheep on respecting flowers!  Paige is doing very well and understands that we smell them and don't touch them.  Oscar is a little more difficult.  He roams the empty flower beds in the backyard and has since we moved in.  We have spent the last couple of years really cleaning out a lot of old, overgrown stuff from the previous owner.  We stumbled upon some old pics I will share soon!! 
The herb garden going in last weekend!
Content with laying next to the flowerbed instead of inside!
So far Oscar is staying out of my herb garden but the next two will be VERY challenging!  Here is his FAVORITE spot in the yard...

"The Grounds Keeper"
He has taught Paige to love it as well. 
Enjoying smelling the flowers!!
It is so much more fun working outside when I have these two to "help"!! 

The "Project Manager"

No comments:

Post a Comment