Thursday, March 1, 2012

Unexpected Ministry

This season of my life is very busy! I do make time to help those in need that are close to me but its more of a challenge to notice strangers who are in need that I (we) could help.  We spent several hours at the hospital today visiting Tyler's grandfather.  He was flown to a local hospital yesterday morning after suffering a stroke.  He is doing very good and hopefully moving out of ICU to a normal room today.  Papa is such an incredible man and I haven't ever heard of him having a sniffle since I met him years ago!  
As Paige, Leighton and I were leaving the hospital, I was carrying the infant carrier on one arm, my bag on another, holding a milk, holding Paige's hand, holding my keys...you get the point...A man probably in his early 60's was behind me. There was some construction going on and he was giving me some pointers on how to get around when I came back. I thanked him but honestly didn't pay much more attention--because of the above referenced zoo i was traveling with and trying to be sure my toddler stayed right with me in the street.  He continued to make conversation about the beautiful weather and saying he hoped whoever we were visiting would be well soon.  We both were leaving the ICU.  
Finally it hit me--this man is very lonely and afraid.  So I said "who are you visiting, sir? I hope they are leaving soon too!" He said his wife.  She was originally brought to the hospital for heart failure. She recovered, went home, then a few days later returned and had her gallbladder removed.  Went home.  Back in the hospital in ICU now and no idea what is wrong.  I feel like that must be more difficult than knowing sometimes, even if you know and its scary you still know.  I looked him in the eyes and said sir, don't be afraid, she is in the Lord's hands.  "Will you tell me your wife's name?" He looked shocked that I cared.  Leighton and Paige were "starving" and were ready to go home.  But he needed us.  He said "Karen xx".  I said alright sir, we will be praying for her.  We will pray for Karen xx.  Paige looked him in the eyes and said "We will be praying for Miss Karen, sir!!  I promise we will!"  I love that kid.  This man seemed more at ease, not because we promised to pray but because we stopped what we were doing, we listened, he could tell us how scared he was and he is probably the one holding the rest of their family together.  Maybe they have kids, brothers, sisters, parents...I don't know but it was obvious this was the first moment he felt it was OK to say how scared he was.  
We've all been in a place where we are scared but we have to be strong but the moment when you can turn something over or get it off your chest how much better it feels.  As Christians we can turn our burdens over to God.  Is this man a Christian?  I don't know.  I do know that my children and I were able to show him God's love whether he has that relationship or not and I'm certain he felt it. I'm not a martyr. He practically had to force me to talk to him and it took awhile for me to see the pain this man was in and it was my duty to give him 10 minutes of my day.  We didn't change his life but I am certain we changed his day.  He had a sense of relief when he walked away.  
We all go through hard times and it feels so much better to turn it over to God.  But also to share our struggles with our family and friends--or a lady on the street if necessary, not carrying the load on our own.  I also feel like on the other hand, as Christians it is our duty to reach out and look for those in need.  This is so much more than writing checks or doing your hour of community service.  I'm definitely not downplaying those things!  But if you see an opportunity to bless someone by simply listening to them and showing them God's grace and love, what a difference we could make.  Reminding myself when I am juggling 2 babies, carrying a couple bags, snacks, drinks, keys, etc., to take time to see someone in need if only its just a smile or a quick hello.  You just never know what the lady behind you at the coffee shop might be dealing with.  

For Karen, for her precious husband, for me and for whoever reads this that needs to hear it...Thank you God for pushing me to share your love today.  I pray that you are with Karen and her husband--I know you are.  Let them feel your unending love.  Let them have peace in knowing you can get them through this no matter the outcome.  Wrap your hands around her and heal her body, whatever may be ailing her, Lord.  You were there and got her through heart failure, through gallbladder surgery.  I know you are still there.  Let her husband find peace in knowing you are in control and only you.  This burden is not his alone.  Guide those wonderful doctors on her care, let them finding the missing piece to this puzzle. What a precious man you gave Karen who has obviously been taking such wonderful care of her and loves her with all his heart.  We will continue lifting Karen up to you Lord.  Amen.
You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. "You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you. "You're blessed when you're content with just who you are-no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought. "You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat. "You're blessed when you care. At the moment of being 'carefull,' you find yourselves cared for. "You're blessed when you get your inside world-your mind and heart-put right. Then you can see God in the outside world. "You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family. "You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom. "Not only that-count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens-give a cheer, even!-for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble. (Matthew 5:3-12 MSG)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I absolutely love this! I have been so challenged by this lately...taking time to notice others and not be so driven by my "plans" of getting in and out of somewhere or so crazy focused on my girls that I miss seeing hurting people around me. Thank you for sharing this! What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete