Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Come Fly Away...

Our renovations are well under way but much slower than we would have liked!  I don't think I have ever heard anyone say "man, my home reno project was completed so much faster than anticipated!!" HA!  At any rate, we are pleased with how the bathrooms are turning out.  Although our larger bathroom, known as "the Pink Bathroom", was "completed" first, I am going to post about the progress of the Powder Bath today.  
Here is the before...






Oh how I really loved these butterflies!  This bathroom was pretty yucky though.  It always had a musky smell and there was rust all around the toilet from a long water leak.  We hated all of the tile and really wanted a nice clean bathroom.  Tyler usually lets me take the reigns with design but has a few requirements.  Mainly budget, but for this bathroom he wanted to be sure we keep with the time period.  We both hate the look of typical new home construction and didn't want to just replace it to look like we have a new home bathroom in a 1950's ranch home.  So I went to designing...

When the contractor tore out the old bathroom, he found that the existing sub floor was completely rotted out and almost non-existent.  Also, there was a beam supporting the house that was rotted from previous water damage before we lived here.  All of that was replaced and we updated the plumbing while the walls were out like we did in the kitchen and other bathroom!  



Since this bathroom is very small, it has been pretty inexpensive to replace.  This bathroom is off our kitchen and laundry room which are bricked so when we did the kitchen we bought enough brick to replace this flooring when we re-did it.  In fact, we originally planned to finish both bathrooms three years ago when we bought the house but if you've ever done a reno project, costs can escalate quickly and we decided to finish out the kitchen and do the bathrooms later.  This worked out so much better because I liked being able to focus all my attention on the kitchen and I wouldn't change one thing about how it turned out.  *Will definitely blog on that project sometime!!  
I went back and forth on putting in wallpaper, painting stripes on the walls, then back to wallpaper.  I originally x'ed the wallpaper because I thought Tyler preferred the paint but once he realized I was going to paint stripes on the walls he quickly said he liked wallpaper!  HA!  The vanity hasn't been built yet but we are trying to use the old window as the door to the custom vanity!  I really hope that works out!  
My sister  & bro in law lives in our neighborhood but have much more modern, clean decorating style so when they bought their house they updated the lighting and took down some chandeliers throughout their house that were original.  I have always dreamed of those chandeliers since they are right up my alley!  I went back and forth on if it were appropriate to ask her if I could buy one or both.  Somehow she had two that literally were the perfect lights for my bathrooms!!  I finally emailed her asking if I could buy, trade, barter, anything for the lights!  Trying to give her the opportunity to say no if she had any use for them.  She is such a sweet person and I didn't want her to feel obligated to hand them over.Well, she gladly turned them over and you would not believe how great they look!!  Even more incredible in the powder bath now that the wallpaper is in and you can see the style coming together!
Here you can see the new walls, new window, crown moulding-stained to match our kitchen and the gorgeous 1950's chandelier!  It is much prettier in person so come on by:).  
 Now this is something!!!  By far the biggest splurge in the bathroom was the wallpaper.  The light was free, the floor was free (since we paid for it 4 years ago), I found a mirror at an antique store and negotiated them down, a toilet and a small vanity.  It really is so perfect to me!  I bought hand towels from Anthropologie in a goldfish yellow color to match the birds in the paper perfectly!  I can't wait for it all to be completed!  For the record, we do not have high ceilings and the black paper does not dwarf the room. Well, its already a dwarf room but it did not get any smaller.  The trick is proper lighting and natural light.  I am beyond thrilled with the look.  

Stay tuned for the final wrap up of this project and cross your fingers the vanity comes out as cool as I have envisioned in my head!  

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! That wallpaper is sooooo cool!!!! Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking so good. I showed the pics to Tommy in hopes to spark a little motivation in him. I might have to bring him over to look at your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete