Thursday, June 24, 2010

Saying Goodbye...

I apologize for the unannounced vacation from the bloggy!  We have had a very busy couple weeks!  We spent a week in Vail, CO and it was absolutely wonderful!  Post on that soon!  Tyler's sweet granny passed away over the weekend so we have been spending some time in her home town.  As hard as it is to say goodbye to people, it was so nice to hear about all of the amazing things she has done in her life.  People she has touched.  The community she changed.  We knew about some of the things but why is it that you learn so much about people you are so close to after they pass?  As I have gotten older and had a baby, I think of all the things I wish I could talk to my grannies about.  I guess when you hang out with your granny, they are just that...your granny.  They dont sit around telling you about their life adventures before you were around because when you have a good granny...YOU are their world!  None of the other stuff matters to them anymore! 
I don't think I have ever met someone that I have connected with as quickly as when I met Ruby (Tyler's granny).  She literally is the 87 year old version of me...or what I hope to be...Ruby immediately liked me too, I could tell.  There is no sugar coating with Ruby.  She always complimented my earrings and my outfits.  She was always dressed up, hair fixed, makeup on, and draped in jewels--the pastor of her church described her as "Well kept", I couldn't help but giggle.  You don't usually hear an 87 year old described as that...but she was til the end.  There is a picture of her hanging in the dining room and I told her about 6 months ago that when she was ready to part with it, I would love to have it to hang up with the photos of my grannies for Paige to look at.  She said that old thing?  She seriously looks more beautiful than Elizabeth Taylor (circa 1950) and she proceeded to tell me she had been cleaning house all day and a girlfriend of hers needed a passport photo taken and begged Ruby to go with her to Moto Photo.  She obliged even though she was in her "ragged, cleaning attire".  Once they got there the photographer kept doting on Ruby and wanted to take her photo so she finally agreed.  I love this story because she had on a fancy dress and I am pretty sure Ruby wasn't the "typical" housewife cleaning all day!! 
I remember when we went to visit her around the time we were planning to get Oscar and she asked what we would name the new puppy.  I told her I had decided on Oscar.  She looked down and said, "hmmm".  She did not approve!  HAHAHA  When I was pregnant we had the same conversation.  She said, "what will we name this baby?"  We said her name would be Paige and she said, "Oh that's nice but I really like Johnetta or Elizabeth."  HAHAHA  She loved Paige though.  She loves everything girly and would want to hold her right away when we would arrive.  Paige started crying once and Ruby said to her, "Now I do not hold crying babies so you stop that or you will have to go back to your mom!" 
I told Tyler's dad that I pray that Paige is just an ounce as strong, confident and beautiful as his mom and I meant it.  I'd also like to add successful to my list because her accomplishments in her 87 years was just unbelievable.  I felt worthless and motivated all at the same time when listening to all she has done.  I can only imagine how she has already shaken up Heaven! Ruby, as you sit in your gold, bedazzled thrown in Heaven watching over us, know that we love you and will miss you so much! 
Don't take your family for granted!  Have them tell you about their lives, get those famous family recipes, ask them the secrets to being happily married for 60 years! 

No comments:

Post a Comment