Saturday, June 5, 2010

All coming together!

Can it be true?!?!  Another room completed in our house??  The dining room turned out EXACTLY how I wanted it to!  I can't believe we have been married three years in July and we just made our first furniture purchase.  It was certainly worth the wait!  The room has been coming together for a long time.  When we first moved in there was a hideous brass chandelier that was a fire hazard (according to our electrician) so first order of business was a new chandelier!  I found just what I wanted at Pottery Barn and surprisingly not too expensive.  Then I peeled and peeled and peeled wallpaper.  I finally got to a smooth, clean wall and picked a Restoration Hardware color: Butter.  The room had original waynescotting but was a yucky, dirty, brown ivory color.  Tyler painted the walls first then painted the waynescotting bright white.  It looked so great!!  Then Janet made a beautiful curtain.  Oh how I love the curtains!!  I have a buffet and mirror that was given to me by a roommate because she didn't have anywhere for it when she moved out.  Score--I oh so love these pieces!  I honestly thought the buffet and mirror would have to go when we eventually bought a dining room set because Tyler hates black furniture.  But we found the perfect compromise of our two styles and (in my opinion) nothing could look better in this space!

When you love to cook there is nothing more important than a nice, big open kitchen with a couple of sinks, a double oven and a gas cooktop.  I managed to knock that out in my first order of business when we bought the house.  Next order of business (2 years later) is having enough space to have folks come eat the food we prepare!  I have dreamed of a huge table since we moved in but we decided we would take it slow and not rush into furniture.  We want to purchase timeless pieces that we will have for lots of years.  We found the table over Memorial Day weekend and knew it was THE ONE!  Almost three years, tons of stores, and lots of begging my hubby and it is complete!

*A special thanks to my hard working hubby to make my "to the moon" dreams possible

*Oh so grateful to my wonderful MIL (mother-in-law) who listened to all my ideas, let me drag her to tons of stores and ties the most lovely bows and entertains our favorite little dumpling through all of it

*Lastly, this could not have been possible without all of the muscles and pickups involved!!  Acea and Pappy, you are the bestest

Before!--Please note wallpaper, chandelier, shutters, doors, CARPET

Before--View from the "formal" living

After!!!--note-no wallpaper, no carpet, no shutters, no electrical issues!



This room outfitted by: Lorec Ranch, Pier 1, Garden Ridge, Tuesday Morning, Vu's Fabric, Mathis Brothers "As Is", Pottery Barn and various other gifts and hand me down pieces. 


Now I can cross another room off my list!!  We are getting closer!

Kitchen-complete!
Paige's baby dynasty-complete!
Dining Room-COMPLETE!
Guest Bedroom-semi/almost complete!
Family Room-semi/almost complete!
Not so Formal living-work in progress
Bathrooms and Master-TBA

I just realized the kitchen was old news to me...don't get me wrong I love it but I wasn't into blogging yet when we did the kitchen remodel so I will add that story sometime in the near future along with some other completed projects.  My current work-in-progress is the not-so-formal living room.  Its coming along nicely.  My turquoise chest sets the tone and a few other details are in the works. 

Lots of my little seedlings are starting to bloom in the front flowerbeds so my gardening ego is starting to grow.  Hubs has been clearing out the backyard flower beds so we can till them up and I can plant some seeds back there too. 

Have a fantabulous weekend! 

4 comments:

  1. i love the big table! and the chandelier is so gorgeous! come do my house next!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely envy your table. It's great!!! And, is that a Pioneer Woman cookbook I see? I have a little "girl crush" on her. Love her recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you girls!! I can't stop starring at it! And yes that is the wonderful Pioneer Woman! I'm thinking I should make a big pioneer woman feast to break in the new table and stuff all my helpers full of delicious food to thank them for all their hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heather this looks AWESOME!!!!! GOOD JOB! looove the table! :)

    ReplyDelete