Monday, July 13, 2009

So they call it "Nesting"...

There are so many different things that run through your head the last few weeks of pregnancy. Am I going to be a good mommy? Will I know what to do when my sweet girl is sick or upset? Can I get this house any cleaner or more organized? How do I keep her from growing up too fast? Am I growing Shrek in my belly? And will I ever have a waist again?!?! This weekend we focused on the clean and organized topic!
I am kind of the pack rat in the family and some things I just can’t bear to go through life without. Even though I don’t want to see them, I know they are tucked away in a box somewhere just in case I want to take a peek at them. We cleaned out most of my “treasures” when we got married 2 years ago tomorrow and Tyler moved into my house. There were tears shed the day we had to clean out my “junk”. The worst of which was a large Ziploc bag of what appeared to Tyler as just broken pottery. He started dying laughing and threw the bag into the trash pile. When he finally looked over at me I was sobbing. The bag of pottery was a tea kettle my Grandma Kay bought for me. She passed away when I was 9 and I just adored her! When I was a sophomore in college I was making tea in my one and only tea kettle of course. Well, my college mind drifted and an hour later I realized I was going to have some green tea...the water had evaporated and the kettle was sooo hot! I immediately took it off the stove and rushed it to the sink so I could put cold water all over it. Isn’t that what you do?? NO! It immediately shattered into lots of pieces and I sobbed! I carried that bag of tea kettle remnants with me everywhere I moved until 2 years ago. Tyler felt horrible when he realized how upset I was and why. But I decided that day to let go of the broken kettle and I haven’t missed it. I guess us pack rats are afraid of forgetting memories or something. I remember my Grandma Kay perfectly and have realized the broken tea kettle wasn’t keeping her memory alive. So as I struggle to part with some things, I try to remind myself of how ridiculous it was to tote around a Ziploc of pottery for 5+ years.
Well, Tyler and I have lived in our current home for close to 9 months now. Somehow we haven’t managed to have a cleaned out garage during that timeframe. (See above story for explanation). I told him that it must be done or I would just die! I don’t want our sweet little girl moving into a house with a junky garage!! He agreed and we got up early on Saturday and got to work. Low and behold, mostly my junk that I haven’t parted with but haven’t moved into the house. A few hours later we had identified all of the trash, all of the items I no longer want but would do great in a garage sale and things we want to keep but need to go in the attic for the time being. The garage is clean as a whistle and I am sure Paige will not give a darn but I sure sleep easier knowing it’s clean and organized!!
Although I am sure I will come up with lots more little projects for Tyler and I these last few weeks, I know Paige will love us whether the garage is clean, the hall is painted or if we still have some weeds in the flower beds but I guess it is all part of it! Less than 6 weeks (possibly 4) in the oven!!

1 comment:

  1. You are so cute!! I can't believe you cleaned out your whole garage with how far along you are! :) You are brave!!

    ReplyDelete