Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Zuppa Toscana

I am a HUGE fan of endless soup and salad at Olive Garden.  And don't think I'm a delicate flower who eats soup and salad to be on a diet!  I can eat 6 bowls of the Zuppa Toscana, which is the potato/sausage/kale soup.  I always want to get the soup togo but one cup isn't enough and buying several cups of soup for one person is just ridiculous.  Thanks to my friend Nicole--I now have the most perfect  recipe for this soup.  In fact, it is identical, if not better than the actual Olive Garden creation itself!  I don't really love potato soup, its just too rich for me but this is more of a brothy soup with potatoes in it.  The Kale gives it such a great texture and wonderful vitamins!!!  I turned the AC down and whipped it up today since its not quite fall here yet, I had to create it in my house! 



INGREDIENTS

1 lb ground Italian sausage

1½ tsp crushed red peppers

1 large diced white onion

4 Tbsp bacon pieces

2 tsp garlic puree

10 cups water

5 cubes of chicken bouillon

1 cup heavy cream

1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes

¼ of a bunch of kale

1.Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.

2.In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
3.Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.

4.Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.

5.Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.

6.Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve. Delicious!

Buon appetito!

Here is where she found this wonderful recipe! 
(I also stole the above photo from this site as my photos are laughable)

No comments:

Post a Comment